sâmbătă, 21 septembrie 2013

Behind the veil


 There's this woman, Marwa. She wrote her story on her blog and I think her story travelled the world. She's Muslim and she tells her story and what it's like to be a Muslim woman, how Muslim women are being treated. Marwa ran away from home because she couldn't stand being a slave anymore. She moved to the U.S. I will put the link to the end of the post, go read her article and see what Muslim women REALLY go through.
 I wanted to write a post about this for a long time, but again, I didn't want to offend anyone.
 I, personally, don't agree with Muslim men and the way they treat women. And this is not because I'm female and not otherwise, but because it's wrong.
 You know, when you don't live like them, you don't know what it's like. I'm not saying that I know what it's like, God forbid, I hope I'll never have to know, but I kind of feel like knowing after I read Marwa's article.
 You don't know you're free until you're not anymore.
 I can't understand how they accept such things. I'm sure that if they would gather and fight this thing, they wouldn't be treated like this. On one hand, I'm starting to think that they accept this. Being raised to accept all the tortures, they don't know any other way to live. They don't know what it's like to wear shorts and a simple T-shirt, so they don't feel like wearing that. They don't know what it's like not to be a slave, so they're fine with that.
 A woman, journalist, went to a Muslim-majority country with her work partner. He raped her and she brought him to the court. She ended up being arested, even though HE is the one who raped her.
 There are so many things that seem so normal, so natural to us, such as taking a bath, shaving, going in the kitchen in the middle of the night to drink a glass of water, or even going to the toilet and being there for more than 5 minutes.. for all these things Muslim women are asked for explanations.
 An interesting thing I've heard is that in France the government won't let Muslim women wear the veil on their head. In one hand, I agree because women shouldn't be forces to do that. On the other hand, I don't agree because maybe, JUST MAYBE, there are women who actually want to do so and they won't be able to do it anymore. I'm not sure what to say, what do you think?

 How can this world be so wrong? I pray for all the Muslim women who are treated like slaves and tortured for unreasonable reasons.
As Lana del Rey said in her song, Ride, "It takes getting everything you ever wanted and then losing it to know what true freedom is".

This is the link to Marwa's article:  http://aveilandadarkplace.com/2013/07/01/what-it-is-like-to-be-a-muslim-woman-and-why-we-know-what-freedom-is/ . Don't be ignorant, read it. You should open your eyes, maybe then you will appreciate better what you have and how lucky you are!

 Complete this blank by telling me what freedom is for you. You can log in with facebook before answering the blank.
fitblanks

4 comentarii:

  1. this article is so well-written in my opinion!! i love it, i will read Marwa's too. i agree with everything you just said. I can only imagine how bad these women are treated and how miserable their life is. I, for one, could not live in such conditions. But like you said: we don't actually know how it's like. for us it's not normal, while for them it is. I'm thankful for living in a place where women and men are treated equally, and the law forbids slavery. (Alina)

    RăspundețiȘtergere
    Răspunsuri
    1. Yes, me too. You know, I just realized that we always complain about things (especially me), such as the economical crisis and the gypsies (I'm talking about Romania now), but if we wouldn't hold to our shallow expectations, we would realize that we are so, so damn lucky. We are lucky that we don't have to live as miserable as other people, not only Muslim women. Take Indians for example. Some of them are rich as fuck, while the other 3 quarters of the population, so the majority, is starving. If in our country every each man and woman would actually want to work, I honestly don't think we would have homeless people on the streets.

      Ștergere
  2. in our country, we do have muslims as well... some love their way of life, while some are not... while some of their practices are good, most of them are not so fair in my opinion, like, if youre a muslim guy, you can have many wives, but the women can't have many husbands.. or if you kill in the name of their god, you will receive a reward... those stuffs that are not for the common good you know...

    RăspundețiȘtergere
    Răspunsuri
    1. yes, I, too, heard that if you kill in the name their God your not punished but rewarded.. I don't know, it seems just wrong.. but I guess if we were raised like them, we wouldn't find it ridiculous. maybe I'm just finding excuses for them, I don't know...

      Ștergere